Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A-Sketch-a-Day-Until-Hera #1

So Olympians Book 3, Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory is finally coming out July 19th. To commemorate this momentous occasion I will be posting a drawing from my enormous cache of sketchbooks each weekday until Hera hits the shelves.

I decided it would be cool to go through these sketches chronologically, to trace the development of what would eventually become Olympians. The first sketchbook I'll be delving into is from way back in August of 2006-- I had just come back to Brooklyn after 8 months in Europe, traveling around visiting various sites of mythological interest. I'm starting here, instead of my European sketchbooks, because this is when I first started to really "get" what Olympians was going to be all about.


Starting off with a drawing of the king of the gods himself, Zeus. As is common in the early days of any of my projects, I'm still not even sure what style I'll be drawing it in. Facially, my Zeus is a bit more cartoony than what I ended up going with, but he's already the young buck  I portray him as instead of the old graybeard he's depicted as in so many other stories. I'm not sure what's going with his sash there, but  I do kind of like the lightning from his fingertips, and I may have to bring that effect into some future volumes of Olympians.



Follow george_oconnor_ on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment