Thursday, April 28, 2011

A-Sketch-a-Day-Until-Hera #3

Olympians Book 3, Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory is finally coming out July 19th. To commemorate this momentous occasion I will be posting a drawing from my enormous cache of sketchbooks each weekday until Hera hits the shelves. I'll be going through them chronologically, and today's piece is from a sketchbook dated August 2006.


Today's piece is of Hephaistos, the blacksmith god of fire. Credited as he is with creating many beautiful and wondrous objects with unearthly technological skill (like robots! The ancient Greeks wrote about him creating robots! How cool is that?) I toyed with the idea of giving him a slightly anachronistic appearance, looking more steampunk than ancient Greekish. I also eventually dropped  his leg braces (I tend to just draw him stooped or sitting) and his body hair.

Fun fact-- I don't draw any of the gods in Olympians with body hair because, unlike us, I figure they didn't evolve from apes but rather take their human forms in imitation of us, and as such, they wouldn't have the traces of fur that we humans do. The one exception to this is Dionysos, the god of wine, who is the only Olympian to have a mortal parent.

Follow george_oconnor_ on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Apes? Evolution? You realize that's just a theory, right? And that if it's true than we came from protazoa planted here by aliens. Which leads to the question of where aliens come from...

    ReplyDelete