Monday, May 16, 2011

A-Sketch-a-Day-Until-Hera #21

Olympians Book 3, Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory is finally coming out July 19th. To commemorate this momentous occasion I will be posting a drawing from my enormous cache of sketchbooks each weekday until Hera hits the shelves. I'll be going through them chronologically, with today's piece coming from a sketchbook from sometime in latish 2006.



Today's sketch is a real oddity. It's a humongous Cyclops (just look at the trees sliding off his back) apparently waking up from some sort of subterranean slumber. What's weird is that I already had worked out the designs for Brontes, Steropes and Arges (the original 3 Cyclopes) by this time.  I'd also been working in a certain direction for the eventual appearance of Poseidon's son Polyphemos and it didn't look like this guy, though both designs do owe a lot to elephant skulls (scale-wise, this guy is just way too big for Ployphemos anyway). So who was I drawing then? I guess just a random cyclops (I love me them Cyclopes), but still, I thought it was pretty neat, so I'm sharing it with all of you.


Follow george_oconnor_ on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment